Thursday, October 14, 2010

Food Inspiration...Mmmm!

I love this time of year, when the weather starts to cool off, with warm sunny days and cool nights.  It reminds me of the coming of the holiday season, and for my husband, it means football season, so we are both very happy people (unless, of course, Alabama loses a game, in which case my husband is not so cheerful).  It also makes me want to say goodbye to fresh seasonal tomatoes, corn and fruit and start eating hearty meals again, like pot pie, beef stew, spaghetti and risotto.  One of my favorites is this recipe from the Food Network for tortellini with peas and pancetta. It is so simple, yet so flavorful.  Some might argue this to be a Spring recipe, but it is so delicious, I say you can eat it whenever you want.  I am getting hungry just thinking about it.  Ok, so back on track, I loved this picture from Veranda magazine and it reminded me of the delicious peas and pancetta recipe I had cooked.  I decided to take this photo from Carolyn Roehm and Veranda and use it as my design inspiration today.  You can find the full article by Carolyn Roehm here.
I love the pasta plate, the food on it and the ticking striped tablecloth.  Like the baby shower invitation I designed to match the cute Serena & Lily crib bedding, I decided to design a party invitation based on this image.  This fabulous and fictitious party ("country supper") would take place at the Barn on my aunt and uncle's beautiful farm where my husband and I got married.  I decided to make the honorees my good friends Holly and Trent who just tied the knot last month.  Here is a picture, so you can get the full idea:
The picture above was taken in September or October, so picture the leaves turning beautiful shades of green, red, yellow and orange come November.  Ok, so now for the invitation based on the pea and aspargus risotto pictured above...which we would obviously have to serve as the entree (or the tortellini).
I used the ticking stripe from the tablecloth as a border, and designed a small leaf motif to go above the copy.  I used Kartago font for the majority of the invite (one of my favorites), and Bickham Script font for the names of the honorees.  I think this would be beautiful on a thick textured ecru/ivory/barely off-white card, with the leaf motif in letterpress, and the brown font printed.  Very simple, just like the recipe.  Let me know if you have any upcoming events...I'd love to help with invites!

No comments:

Post a Comment